UNDERSTANDING PITTA DOSHA
PITTA DOSHA: THE FORCE OF TRANSFORMATION
In Ayurveda, a dosha is one of three substances that are believed to be present in a person's body. Pitta dosha is created from the elements of fire & water, with fire being predominant. Imagine these particular elements coming into contact with you. What qualities do fire & water possess? What sensations do they create in your body & mind? Are fire & water: light or heavy, oily or dry, hot or cold, static or flowing? Let us help you navigate through these questions.
The qualities of fire & water are inherently hot, light, sharp, oily & flowing. Since these elements are what create pitta dosha, then pitta dosha also reflects these qualities. A pitta type mirrors the qualities of fire & water in their physical, mental & emotional bodies. Pitta manifests in the physical body through a medium frame & athletic build, making it easy for this body type to sustain muscle tone. If weight is gained, it is easy to lose. In the mind, pitta dosha manifests as sharpness & intellect. A pitta personality tends to be a natural born leader, who is passionate & courageous. They communicate directly. To some, their clear communication can come off as sharp or curt; however, pitta types feel like they are just being clear & getting to the point. Pitta types value organization & completion of tasks is a must. When they are in balance, they have a beautiful blend of the fire & water elements which displays in a powerful, compassionate nature, inspiring others to achieve their goals. The unofficial mascot of pitta dosha is a lion. They are strong, powerful, demand attention & will protect their loved ones with a fiercely loyal love.
Imbalance in pitta dosha manifests as excess heated conditions & emotions. In the body, there is a tendency for hyperacidity, ulcers & inflammation. In the mind, excess pitta leads to irritability, jealousy, impatience, a judgmental attitude & anger. Pitta-type skin can be described as sensitive, oily in the T-Zone areas & can also be prone to acne & blemishes.
Pitta Balancing Products
Pitta-type skin is also comprised of the fire & water elements. When in balance, pitta skin has a rosy, dewy glow. Pitta skin is delicate, naturally warm in temperature & can have freckles, beauty marks &/or moles. When out of balance, this skin type is prone to excess heat, inflammation, excess oil (especially in the T-Zone region), rosacea, broken capillaries, acne, blemishes & redness. Wrinkles tend to be most predominant in between the eyes. Our Pitta Skincare Ritual is formulated with optimal cooling, soothing & calming herbs to counterbalance the heated conditions of pitta-type skin.
TIPS FOR RADIANT PITTA SKIN
Pitta Spice Blend
- Drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning to cleanse & detoxify the skin & internal organs.
- Create a yoga practice that emphasizes forward folds & twists to cool & calm. Move slowly & gently. Avoid heating yoga & heated yoga classes.
- Practice cooling & calming pranayama or breathing exercises.
- Engage in calming activities like walks in nature & spending time with loved ones instead of competitive activities.
- Cultivate a daily meditation practice. Start with just 5 minutes a day & slowly move towards 20-30 minutes per day.
- Take warm baths in the moonlight with our Coconut Milk Bath. Add essential oils of peppermint & sandalwood to further soothe & cool the nervous system & mental body.
- Perform self-massage daily with our Pitta Body Oil to keep the skin tissue healthy & calm.
- Use our Pitta Skincare Ritual morning & evening to experience the benefits of a skincare line formulated just for you & your unique needs.