THE ABHYANGA RITUAL
Abhyanga is the Ayurvedic term for lovingly oiling the body. Practicing abhyanga regularly provides a profound feeling of stability, strength and well-being. This is in such a literal sense that the Sanskrit word sneha translates to “oil” and/or “love”, therefore, snehana “to oil oneself”, also means “to love oneself”.
Through the daily practice of self-abhyanga, one restores balance to the three doshas, massages the lymphatic system, increases circulation, improves skin tone & balance, increases stamina, calms the nerves, counteracts the effects of aging and cultivates self-love.
“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much even if subjected to accidental injuries, or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age”
Charaka Samhita Vol. 1, V: 88-89
HOW TO PERFORM A SELF-ABHYANGA
Regular massage & loving touch detoxifies the body’s tissues, increases circulation, nourishes the skin, calms the mind, & enhances immune function.
- Begin by placing your PAAVANI Body Oil in hot water until it becomes a pleasant temperature.
- Lovingly massage oil into body for 10-15 minutes, beginning at extremities & working towards center of body.
- Vigorously massage feet & hands using back-and-forth motions with the open part of your hand.
- Massage arms & legs with circular strokes on joints, & long, back-and-forth strokes on limbs.
- Massage abdomen using clockwise motion, following the Direction of large intestine & colon.
- Massage chest with small, upward, circular motions, starting on bottom of breastbone and making way up to collarbone & also around outside of breasts.
- Massage back as well as you can. You can use a downward stroke on lower back to help increase downward flow of energy.
- Once you have massaged your entire body, let oil penetrate into skin for as long as you can & then enjoy a warm Coconut Milk Bath or shower.
*The above sequence can also be used with Garshana Gloves to offer yourself a Garshana Massage.