UNDERSTANDING KAPHA DOSHA
KAPHA DOSHA: THE FORCE OF STABILITY
In Ayurveda, a dosha is one of three substances that are believed to be present in a person's body. Kapha dosha is made of the earth & water elements. Close your eyes & feel these elements coming into contact with your being. What qualities do earth & water possess? What sensations do they create in your body & mind? Are these elements: light or heavy, hot or cold, dense or flowing, sharp or dull, static or mobile? Let us guide you through these questions.
Earth & water are both by nature: dense, heavy, cold, static & dull. Since these are the qualities that comprise these elements & these elements are what create kapha dosha, then kapha dosha is characterized by these qualities as well.
Kapha dosha is the force of stability due to the grounded, stable elements that create it. A kapha-type reflects earth & water in their physical, mental & emotional being. A kapha body is solid & sometimes stocky. It is very easy for kapha-types to gain weight & also hard for them to lose it. They have large features: abundant hair, large eyes & thick lips. A kapha personality is sweet, loving & loyal. They are the people at the party or social gathering making sure everyone else is okay. They will make sure your drink is full, you have eaten & you are not too hot or nor cold. Kapha-types are also solid, steady & enjoy routine. The unofficial mascot of kapha dosha is an elephant. They move slowly, have open hearts & have a natural compassion for others.
When kapha is out of balance, in the physical body, there can be weight gain, excess mucous, lethargy & nausea associated in the digestive tract. Stubbornness & attachment may become an issue in the emotional body. Imbalanced kapha skin manifests with excess oiliness, congestion, cystic acne, blackheads & large pores.
Kapha Balancing Products
Kapha-type skin reflects the qualities of the earth & water elements. When in balance, kapha skin is pale, soft, supple, cool & slightly moist. It has been said that people of kapha nature have skin like a china doll. When out of balance, this skin-type is prone to excess oil, cystic acne, large pores, congestion & excess moisture. Kapha skin has a generous amount of collagen that wards off premature wrinkles & signs of aging. Our Kapha Skincare Ritual is formulated with specific herbs to have an astringent, warming & detoxifying effect on the skin, in order to bring ideal balance to kapha-type skin.
TIPS FOR RADIANT KAPHA SKIN
Kapha Spice Blend
Rooibos Chai Blend Tea
- Drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning to cleanse & detoxify the skin & increase agni.
- Exercise. Cardio workouts are great for kapha-types.
- Practice yoga that is flowing & heating. Ashtanga & Vinyasa Yoga are ideal as well as rapid sun salutations & heart openers like High Lunge & Fish Pose.
- Practice uplifting & invigorating pranayama or breathing exercises.
- Practice the art of letting go. Clean out your closet, let go of attachments that are weighing you down.
- Perform self-massage daily with our Kapha Body Oil to keep the skin activated & circulation pumping.
- Use our Kapha Skincare Ritual morning and evening to experience the benefits of a skincare line formulated just for you & your unique needs.
- Try our Kapha Reducing Ayurvedic Ginger Bath Salt Recipe to detoxify the skin.