KAPHA DOSHA: THE FORCE OF STABILITY
In Ayurveda, a dosha is one of three substances that are believed to be present in a person's body. Kapha dosha is made of the earth and water elements. Close your eyes and feel these elements coming into contact with your being. What qualities do earth and water possess? What sensations do they create in your body and mind? Are these elements: light or heavy, hot or cold, dense or flowing, sharp or dull, static or mobile? Let us guide you through these questions.
Earth and water are both by nature: dense, heavy, cold, static and dull. Since these are the qualities that comprise these elements and these elements are what create kapha dosha, then kapha dosha is characterized by these qualities as well.
Kapha dosha is the force of stability due to the grounded, stable elements that create it. A kapha-type reflects earth and water in their physical, mental and emotional being. A kapha body is solid and sometimes stocky. It is very easy for kapha-types to gain weight and also hard for them to lose it. They have large features: abundant hair, large eyes and thick lips. A kapha personality is sweet, loving and loyal. They are the people at the party or social gathering making sure everyone else is okay. They will make sure your drink is full, you have eaten and you are not too hot or nor cold. Kapha-types are also solid, steady and enjoy routine. The unofficial mascot of kapha dosha is an elephant. They move slowly, have open hearts and have a natural compassion for others.
When kapha is out of balance, in the physical body, there can be weight gain, excess mucous, lethargy and nausea associated in the digestive tract. Stubbornness and attachment may become an issue in the emotional body. Imbalanced kapha skin manifests with excess oiliness, congestion, cystic acne, blackheads & large pores. Check out our kapha balancing products.
Kapha-type skin reflects the qualities of the earth and water elements. When in balance, kapha skin is pale, soft, supple, cool and slightly moist. It has been said that people of kapha nature have skin like a china doll. When out of balance, this skin-type is prone to excess oil, cystic acne, large pores, congestion and excess moisture. Kapha skin has a generous amount of collagen that wards off premature wrinkles and signs of aging. Our Kapha Skincare Ritual is formulated with specific herbs to have an astringent, warming and detoxifying effect on the skin, in order to bring ideal balance to kapha-type skin.
TIPS FOR RADIANT KAPHA SKIN
- Avoid processed sugars, oily and/or fried foods and all dairy. These foods will congest the skin.
- Combine foods with spicy, dry and pungent herbs that will stimulate agni (your digestive fire). Herbs like Cayenne, Cinnamon and Black Pepper are ideal options.
- Drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning to cleanse and detoxify the skin and increase agni.
- Exercise. Cardio workouts are great for kapha-types.
- Practice yoga that is flowing and heating. Bikram, Ashtanga and Vinyasa Yoga are ideal as well as rapid sun salutations and heart openers like Camel Pose and Fish Pose.
- Practice the art of letting go. Clean out your closet, let go of attachments that are weighing you down.
- Perform self-massage daily with our Kapha Body Oil to keep the skin activated and circulation pumping.
- Use our Kapha Skincare Ritual morning and evening to experience the benefits of a skincare line formulated just for you and your unique needs.
- Try our Kapha Reducing Ayurvedic Ginger Bath Salt Recipe to detoxify the skin.