With the anxiety-inducing whirlwind that may very well describe the year of 2020 combined with the colder days of autumn settling in, we thought it would be a good time to share our favorite Ayurvedic Ojas Ball Recipe. This sweet and nourishing snack is super simple to make and is packed with ojas building spices and ingredients to help aid in healthy digestion, replenishing your immune system and restoring vitality.
Ojas is one of the subtle energies in the body and this Sanskrit term translates to “vigor”. This subtle energy found within all of us is responsible for maintaining our strength, contentment and immunity. In the physical body, ojas gives our immune system the ability to keep the body strong and able to ward off pathogens and infectious diseases. In the mind, ojas provides psychological stability and the wherewithal to cope with stressful situations as well as provide the endurance we need to stay mentally focused. For our spirit, ojas is the force of contentment and bliss.
There are three states of ojas. Ojas can be in excess, deficient or balanced:
Excess Ojas is at play when you feel complacent and have a lack of motivation to continue with new projects and/or have no desire to experience mental, physical and spiritual growth.
Deficient Ojas occurs when you feel mental and emotional instability, lack of contentment and your body and mind become fatigued quickly.
Balanced Ojas happens when you have the ability to endure both physical and mental stress. It is also when you feel content yet motivated to move forward with your dharma, or life’s path.
The below recipe is best utilized when you are feeling deficient in ojas and also if you are experiencing excess vata dosha. We love preparing this tasty recipe in the cold fall and winter months to give our bodies and minds an extra dose of nourishment and love.
Ayurvedic Ojas Ball Recipe
Makes 12-14 Ojas Balls
- In a blender, blend together the almonds, vanilla extract and PAAVANI Golden Milk powder or spice blend (ashwagandha, shatavari, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger). Blend until they are the consistency of a coarse flour.
- Chop the Medjool dates then place them into a medium-sized mixing bowl with the almond butter and ghee (or coconut oil), mixing until combined.
- Add the ingredients from the blender into the date mixture and using a spoon or your hands, blend all the ingredients together.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture into the palm of your hand and shape into a ball. *To keep your hands clean while rolling the mixture into balls, we suggest coating your hands with coconut oil or ghee.
- Once the Ojas Ball is formed, roll the ball in the coconut flakes.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you have rolled all of your mixture into balls.
You can store your Ojas Balls in an airtight container for 1-2 days on your kitchen counter or store them for up to 1 week in your refrigerator.
For optimal digestion, enjoy your homemade Ayurvedic Ojas Balls with our Rooibos Chai Blend Tea!