According to the Centers for Disease Control, frequent washing and sanitizing of your hands is one of the most important ways to keep yourself and others safe from contracting COVID-19. Since hand sanitizers seem to be flying off of store shelves and may be hard to come by right now, it's important to learn how to make your own hand sanitizer. That's why we would like to share with you an Ayurveda inspired DIY hand sanitizer using simple ingredients that you can easily prepare at home.
What you will need:
- 3/4 cup of 99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
- 1/4 cup of Aloe Vera Gel
- 10-15 drops of Essential Oil (try: eucalyptus, cassia oil, sage, lemongrass, lavender oil, frankincense, tea tree or any citrus oil). Lemon juice also works!
- Cold water, either distilled or boiled (optional)
- Add rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, and essential oils into a bowl (ideally one with a pouring spout, such as a glass measuring container).
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- If you would like your sanitizer to be administered from a spritzer bottle, add cold water until your mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Pour your mixture into an empty hand sanitizer bottle or a cleaned out PAAVANI Spritzer, Toner or Body Oil bottle.
- Label your bottle "Hand Sanitizer", to avoid confusion if re-using a container.
We hope that you find this hand sanitizer recipe easy to make and helpful at keeping your hands clean when you are on the go and without easy access to soap and water.
A special thank you to Shakti Ayurveda School founder, Katie Silcox & our former California College of Ayurveda teacher, Mary Thompson, for inspiring this recipe! We enjoyed listening to The Ghee Spot podcast Ep. 76 Mary Thompson on Ayurveda, Self-Care and Coronavirus. Give it a listen if you are interested in learning more about how you can keep your body healthy and strong.
Read more ways to stay healthy using Ayurveda tips to boost immunity during COVID-19. Wishing you optimal health and balance through these stressful times.
The PAAVANI Ayurveda Team