According to the Centers for Disease Control, frequent washing and sanitizing of your hands is one of the most important ways to keep yourself and others safe from contracting COVID-19. Since hand sanitizers seem to be flying off of store shelves and may be hard to come by right now, it's important to learn how to make your own hand sanitizer. That's why we would like to share with you an Ayurveda-inspired DIY hand sanitizer using simple ingredients that you can easily prepare at home.
What you will need:
- Add rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, and essential oils into a bowl (ideally one with a pouring spout, such as a glass measuring container).
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- If you would like your sanitizer to be administered from a spritzer bottle, add cold water until your mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Pour your mixture into an empty hand sanitizer bottle or a cleaned out PAAVANI Spritzer, Toner or Body Oil bottle.
- Label your bottle "Hand Sanitizer", to avoid confusion if re-using a container.
We hope that you find this hand sanitizer recipe easy to make and helpful at keeping your hands clean when you are on the go and without easy access to soap and water.
A special thank you to Shakti Ayurveda School founder, Katie Silcox & our former California College of Ayurveda teacher, Mary Thompson, for inspiring this recipe! We enjoyed listening to The Ghee Spot podcast Ep. 76 Mary Thompson on Ayurveda, Self-Care and Coronavirus. Give it a listen if you are interested in learning more about how you can keep your body healthy and strong.
Wishing you optimal health and balance through these stressful times.
The PAAVANI Ayurveda Team
Immune Boosting Essentials
Thank you for this interesting article. This is a simple recipe of DIY hand Sanitiser. We would like to apply this to our clinic Sunshine Ayurveda as well.